Some birth injuries are preventable
Expectant parents look forward to bringing a new life into the world and hope their child will be healthy. But childbirth does not always go smoothly – things can go wrong that jeopardize the baby’s life and future well-being. That is why expectant parents rely on medical professionals to do their best to protect the health of mothers and their newborns. Unfortunately, preventable errors or medical malpractice are often the cause of birth injuries.
When a birth injury is caused by a physician’s negligence or malpractice, you may be able to seek compensation for your emotional trauma and for your child’s:
- Medical treatment
- Rehabilitative care
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
If you suspect that your baby suffered a preventable birth injury, you should contact a medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible. Many medical malpractice attorneys provide free consultations to discuss the circumstances of your child’s birth injury and determine the best strategy for your birth injury claim.
Most birth injuries are caused by medical negligence
Shockingly, most birth injuries are preventable. Many times, doctors fail to properly diagnose or treat the mother and fetus. Examples of this include cases where a physician failed to:
- Properly monitor a woman’s condition during pregnancy
- Diagnose and treat infections
- Act on signs of fetal oxygen deprivation
The most common preventable birth injuries are caused by:
- Improperly pulling or twisting the baby during delivery
- Poor handling and use of forceps, vacuum extraction, and other delivery assistance tools and devices
- Failing to administer the proper medications during pregnancy and labor
- Failing to diagnose and treat maternal infections
- Failing to detect umbilical cord problems
- Not monitoring fetal distress or not monitoring the fetal heartbeat at regular intervals
- Failure to perform or schedule a medically indicated C-section
- Inattentive, exhausted, or inexperienced medical staff
This negligent behavior has devastating effects such as:
- Developmental disabilities and delay (retardation)
- Motor impairment, paralysis
- Cerebral palsy and brachial palsy injuries
- Decrease or lack of strength, stamina or sensation
- Cognitive or emotional impairment
- Problems with bone and joint development
An experienced Bronx birth injury lawyer can help you collect and review medical records, provide legal advice, and help you file a claim for medical negligence.
Call for a free consultation with a Bronx birth injury attorney
If you suspect your baby suffered a preventable birth injury, speak to Bronx attorney Evan W. Kohn. Evan W. Kohn is an experienced medical malpractice lawyer who can help you take action when medical professionals were negligent. To schedule a free consultation, contact The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn online or call 718-409-5500.