What you do in the moments following a car accident injury can be critical. Do not attempt a self-diagnosis. In the aftermath of the accident, adrenaline can block pain receptors and certain conditions may not fully manifest until later on. Concussions are among the most common injuries that people misdiagnose or do not treat properly. In the event that you believe you or someone you love may have sustained a concussion in a Bronx car accident, follow these steps:
- Stabilize the person — Never attempt to move someone who may have suffered a concussion after an auto accident unless doing so is absolutely necessary (there is a fire, you are in the middle of oncoming traffic, etc.). Next, you must stabilize the victim. This means you and other volunteers should hold the person’s head and keep it immobile until emergency services arrive.
- Rest after suffering a concussion — After suffering a concussion, the victim should never be left alone during the next 24 hours. Remain with the victim and monitor their cognitive state. Are they alert? Do they seem impaired at all? It is okay to let them sleep, but you should wake them up once every 15 minutes for the first two hours, followed by once every 30 mins for the following two hours, and lastly once every hour.
- Watch for worsening symptoms — While monitoring the victim, carefully watch for any worsening symptoms. If the victim experiences any of these symptoms, consult with a doctor and be ready to head to the emergency room:
- Slurred speech
- Lack of coordination
- Numbness or weakness in arms and legs
- Repeated vomiting
- A headache that gets worse
- Double vision
- Consider legal action — Once the concussion is properly treated, you should consider legal action. How were you or your loved one injured? Auto accident? Slip and fall? Was a careless person or party at fault? An experienced injury lawyer can review your case and help you file a claim for compensation.
Car accident injuries range from minor to severe. After a medical professional determines the extent of your injuries, speak with a car accident lawyer about possibly taking legal action.
Contact an experienced Bronx accident lawyer
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn helps injured New Yorkers obtain rightful compensation. No matter if you are hurt in a bus, car, or other type of accident, we want to hear your story. To discuss your case with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer, call 718-409-5500 or contact us online.