When you go to the hospital, the last thing you expect is to suffer further injury. Unfortunately, doctors, nurses, anesthesiologists, and other medical professionals make mistakes. If you believe you are the victim of medical malpractice in New York, consult with a skilled Bronx medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible. Prior to meeting with your lawyer in person, you should gather the following documents:
- Medical records — You definitely want a copy of your medical records. Make sure you have the most recent records for your medical malpractice injury, the records for the condition that sent you to the hospital in the first place, and records for any pre-existing conditions that may affect your case. A detailed medical history is the cornerstone of a solid medical malpractice case.
- Medical bills — To ensure you are properly compensated for medical expenses, be sure to bring copies of all medical bills corresponding to your malpractice injury. Without medical bills, you will have difficulty obtaining reimbursement for any procedures that were performed in order to treat your malpractice injury.
- Insurance and Medicare — You will also want to have copies of insurance reports and anything covered by Medicare.
- Receipts for out-of-pockets expenses — Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may have needed to pay for certain procedures or treatments out of pocket. In order to recover compensation for these expenses, you will need to show documentation.
- Evidence of lost income — Based on the extent of your injuries, you may be unable to return to work for some time. It is a good idea to log any workdays or employment opportunities you miss as a result of your condition.
- Photographs — If you have photos of your injuries or anything related to your malpractice case, make sure you provide your attorney with copies.
If you are injured by a negligent doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional, you can increase your chances of recovering rightful compensation by compiling a detailed list of records, expenses, and other information regarding the incident.
Contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney in the Bronx
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn provides trusted counsel to medical malpractice victims throughout New York. Call 718-409-5500 or contact us online to discuss your case with a dedicated malpractice lawyer today.