When a slip and fall accident occurs, the victim has the right to file a premises liability lawsuit. Many people who hear the phrase “slip and fall” think of ice, rain, or other slick surfaces. However, a slip and fall accident can happen virtually anywhere.
Here are some common causes of slip and falls in the Bronx:
- Rain, ice, and snow — Ice and snow are responsible for countless fall accidents each year. Property owners have a duty to remove these weather-related hazards in due time to prevent slip and fall accidents from occurring. In many cases, it is the dreaded “black ice” that causes accident and injury to unsuspecting pedestrians. If a property owner attempts but fails to remedy an icy condition and you are injured, consult a lawyer as soon as possible. Depending on the specific details of your case, you may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit.
- Food spills — Whether in restaurants, grocery stores, or elsewhere, food spills can create serious hazards. Property owners have a duty to remedy food spills as soon as possible and to notify customers and workers of the condition.
- Poorly lit stairwells — Stairwells that lack proper illumination can be more hazardous than ice or food spills. Pedestrians can suffer catastrophic injuries while ascending or descending a dimly lit stairwell.
- Uneven sidewalk slabs — Over time, sidewalk slabs deteriorate and become uneven. If a property owner observes and fails to repair a damaged or uneven sidewalk, and a passerby suffers a slip and fall accident, the victim may be able to file a personal injury claim.
- Debris covered walkways — Debris on sidewalks, construction sites, and other areas, can make travel hazardous for pedestrians.
A slip and fall injury can lead to life-changing injuries and even death. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries. Furthermore, the CDC estimates that 800,000 people are hospitalized each year because of fall accidents. If you or someone you love suffers a slip and fall injury for any reason, seek prompt medical and legal attention.
Bronx Slip and Fall Lawyer Helps Victims get Compensation
In the blink of an eye, a slip and fall accident can change your life forever. At the Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn, we work tirelessly to help you obtain the damages you need to rebuild your life. Call 718-409-5500 or contact us online today to schedule a free initial consultation. Se habla español.