Being in an accident with a truck can be terrifying. The superior size and weight of trucks means that even low-speed accidents can cause significant damage and injuries. It’s common for people who have been in accidents with trucks to go into a state of shock and not know how to react afterwards. However, especially when the accident was caused by the negligence of another party, understanding what steps to take after a trucking accident could significantly affect your claim and the amount of compensation you could receive down the line.
What to do after a Bronx trucking accident
Truck drivers and the companies that employ them are expected to follow certain regulations. When they fail to do so and cause an accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your injuries. However, it’s important to know what to do after the accident to increase your likelihood of a successful claim.
Here are the steps you should take after an accident involving a truck:
- Seek medical attention. The first thing you should do after an accident is make sure you are okay. If you’re injured, wait for an ambulance to arrive.
- Find a safe space. Get off the road and find a space that is safe from oncoming traffic. If your vehicle is stuck in an unsafe space, leave it there and wait for help.
- Call the police. It’s important you call the police after an accident. The officers will come to the scene, take witness statements, and write up an accident report. This report could be helpful to you down the line.
- Collect information about the accident and accident scene. Write down the truck driver’s name, contact information, license plate number and insurance information.
- Take pictures and collect witness statements. If you have a camera, take pictures of the accident scene with as many angles as you can. Also, if there are witnesses present ask for their names and contact information and if they’d be willing to give a statement about what they saw.
- Follow through with a doctor. Go see your doctor and follow whatever health advice they give you. Save any documents from your doctor’s visit.
Contact a trucking accident lawyer with experience in the Bronx
At the Law Offices of Even W. Kohn, we’ve been helping clients navigate the legal system and fight for the compensation they deserve for many years. If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, we can help you determine who is liable and take the steps necessary to file your claim. Contact us at 718-409-5500 today to schedule a free consultation with our trucking accident attorney. Se habla español.