Without warning, a slip and fall accident can change your life forever. The decisions you make in the moments that follow can significantly impact your health as well as your chances of recovering compensation from a legal claim.
Whether you are walking down the street in the Bronx, in a grocery store, restaurant, or someone else’s home, if you slip and fall, you need to act fast. Here are some of the steps you should follow to protect your health and your ability to recover damages from a personal injury lawsuit:
- Call 911 immediately — Following a fall accident, you may experience shock and disorientation. Adrenaline may flood your body causing a delayed reaction to pain. Many fall victims try to get up and “shake it off.” Do not attempt to diagnose your own injuries. Call 911 immediately or ask the property owner to call for medical attention. Seeking prompt medical care can prevent minor conditions from manifesting in serious injuries. Further, seeking medical attention immediately will lend credence to your legal claim for damages.
- Follow your doctor’s orders — After diagnosing your condition, your doctor will provide you with a treatment plan for the future. Listen carefully to everything your physician says and be sure to follow his or her orders. Failure to heed your doctor’s advice can hinder your body’s ability to heal as well as your attempt to collect compensation from the property owner responsible for causing the accident.
- Hire the right lawyer — If you wish to file a claim for compensation, you need a personal injury attorney — not a tax lawyer, criminal justice attorney, or real estate lawyer. Resist turning to a relative who “dabbles” in law. You need an experienced counselor who focuses on helping slip and fall victims in the Bronx.
- Tell your lawyer everything — You must disclose everything about the accident to your lawyer. Failure to divulge even the most mundane detail about your slip and fall to your attorney can only hurt your ability to recover a fair settlement.
- Avoid talking to the insurance company without your attorney — Insurance companies are not your friend. They want to resolve your claim as cost effectively and quickly as possible. If an insurer harasses you about signing or settling, direct their calls to your attorney.
Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents are common throughout NYC. In particular, they are a leading cause of injury, hospitalization, and even death among adults 65 and older. If you believe a negligent property owner is at fault for your injuries, seek experienced legal assistance as soon as possible.