Bicycles are a great form of transportation. Riding a bike is good exercise, environmentally friendly, and you can get where you need to go for free. Unfortunately, bicycling can be dangerous, especially in the city where there are a lot of variables to consider on the road. That’s why if you’re a biker, you should take precautions to avoid accidents, and if you’re ever involved in an accident it’s important that you know what to do.
Safety steps to avoid accidents
Biking in New York is not easy. There’s traffic, pedestrians crossing the street, potholes, and taxi doors opening and closing. That’s why it’s important to follow the laws of the road.
If you bike in New York, be sure to:
- Wear a helmet.
- Use bike lanes when they are available.
- If you’re riding at night, wear bright clothing and make sure you have reflectors or lights on your bike.
- Don’t wear headphones.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Use your bell to alert pedestrians.
- Signal when you turn.
- Know New York City’s Bicycle Laws. Bikers must obey most of the same traffic rules as cars, such as stopping at stop signs and red lights, and riding with traffic.
What to do if you are in an accident
Unfortunately, some accidents are unavoidable. If you are involved in a bicycle accident in the Bronx you should follow these steps:
- Take care of yourself. Get out of the road and make sure you are okay.
- Call the police. Or ask someone on the scene to call if you are unable to. It will be important later that you have a police report on file.
- Collect as much data from the scene as possible. If you have a smartphone, take pictures of the vehicles involved, and the road or intersection where the accident occurred. If there are any witnesses, write down their names and numbers.
- Try to obtain the license plate and information of the driver and anyone else who was involved in the accident.
Bicyclists who are injured by distracted drivers or because of the negligence of another vehicle can be rewarded compensation for hospital and doctor bills, damaged property, pain and suffering, and lost wages. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in the Bronx, it’s important to contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney who can help.
Skilled bicycle accident lawyer in the Bronx
Your best choice for legal help with bicycle accidents is the Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn. Let us fight for you to get the money you deserve from insurance companies and at-fault drivers. Call 718-866-3914 or contact us online to schedule your free consultation. Se habla español.