Millions of people ride the New York City subway systems every day. For the most part, the system functions smoothly and passengers get to their destinations without issues. However, because of the sheer volume of people riding the subway daily it should come as no surprise that sometimes accidents occur, and people get hurt. While most accidents suffered in subways are minor and go unreported, accidents suffered because of the negligence of another party should be taken seriously.
What Should You do After an Accident?
If you’ve been injured in an accident on a subway, knowing what steps to take afterwards could make the difference between winning and losing your claim. Listed below are some tips for what to do after being injured in a subway:
- Take care of yourself. Before you do anything after an accident, make sure you’re okay.
- Notify an employee. Once you’ve determined you’re okay and not in any immediate risk of further injury, speak with an employee at the subway and tell them what caused the accident so that more people aren’t injured. Be sure to write down the employee’s name.
- Take pictures. If you have a camera, take pictures of where the accident occurred and any debris or poor lighting that may have contributed to it. The more angles, the better.
- Witnesses. Try to get the names and contact information of any witnesses who may have seen the accident occur. This information could be helpful for your case if you decide to file a claim down the road.
- See a doctor. Even if you don’t think you need it, visit a doctor after your accident and save the documentation from your visit. Also, follow any health advice your doctor gives you.
- Take notes. Write down how the accident happened and record how you feel daily following the accident.
- Don’t waste time. If you’ve been seriously injured, contact a subway accident attorney as soon as possible. You will only have 90 days to submit your claim so the sooner you get started, the better.
The New York City Transit Authority is responsible for maintaining the safety of passengers who take the subway. So if you’ve been injured in an accident caused by negligence in the train or subway area, you may be liable to receive compensation for your injuries.
Contact an Experienced Subway Accident Attorney in the Bronx
Being injured in a subway accident isn’t always your fault. At the Law Offices of Even W. Kohn, we’ve been fighting for years to help our clients receive the compensation they deserve when they are injured on a subway. Contact us at [OCB_ phone] today to schedule your free consultation with our transit accident lawyer. Se habla español.