There is no arguing the fact that cycling is a healthy, economical, and environmentally conscious mode of transportation. It’s an equally healthy form of recreation. But cycling is not without risks, especially in high-traffic areas like the Catskills.
At The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn, our experienced Catskills bicycle accident lawyers have helped countless bicycle accident victims obtain compensation after a crash. Contact us today at 1-800-750-4878 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
Experienced Catskills Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bicycle riders face multiple risks and challenger on a daily basis. In 2014, the average cost of hospitalization for Catskills bicycle injuries was $54,926. Heavy traffic, aggressive drivers, driver distraction, and poor conditions are major contributors to these serious—and sometimes fatal—bicycle accidents.
Sadly, more and more drivers are purposely cutting off cyclists, annoyed at the disturbance of having to slow down to pass. Other drivers are simply too distracted—texting, talking on the phone, or changing their music—to notice an approaching cyclist.
When negligent, careless, or reckless behaviors result in serious injury or death, those responsible should be held accountable for their actions.
Whether a client is involved in a bicycle accident on their way to work, or biking for pleasure, our office is here to help them navigate any potential legal actions surrounding the accident. Some of the more common bicycle cases that we handle are accidents caused by car doors that are opened suddenly, cars and buses forcing bicycles off the road, poorly maintained roads resulting in crashes, and injuries resulting from road rage.
What to Do if You’re Involved in a Bicycle Accident in the Bronx
Despite the numerous health and environmental benefits of cycling, it can also be dangerous, especially in the city, where there are a lot of variables to consider on the road. That’s why if you’re a biker, you should take precautions to avoid accidents, and if you’re ever involved in an accident it’s important that you know what to do.
Safety steps to avoid accidents
Biking in Catskills is rarely an easy task. There’s heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic, doors opening and closing, and pot holes and other road hazards to contend with. That’s why it’s important to follow the laws of the road.
If you bike in Catskills, New York, be sure to:
- Wear a helmet.
- Use bike lanes when they are available.
- If you’re riding at night, wear bright clothing and make sure you have reflectors or lights on your bike.
- Don’t wear headphones.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Use your bell to alert pedestrians.
- Signal when you turn.
- Know the local traffic laws. Bikers must obey most of the same traffic rules as cars, such as stopping at stop signs and red lights, and riding with traffic.
What to do if you are in an accident
Unfortunately, some accidents are unavoidable. If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Catskills you should follow these steps:
- Take care of yourself. Get out of the road and make sure you are okay.
- Call the police. Or ask someone on the scene to call if you are unable to. It will be important later that you have a police report on file.
- Collect as much data from the scene as possible. If you have a smartphone, take pictures of the vehicles involved, and the road or intersection where the accident occurred. If there are any witnesses, write down their names and numbers.
- Try to obtain the license plate and information of the driver and anyone else who was involved in the accident.
Bicyclists who are injured by distracted drivers or because of the negligence of another vehicle can be rewarded compensation for hospital and doctor bills, damaged property, pain and suffering, and lost wages. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Catskills, it’s important to contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney who can help.
Why Hire a Catskills Bike Accident Lawyer
Insurance companies are notorious for offering ridiculously low settlements to injury victims following a bike or motor vehicle accident. They know that many injury victims desperately need a settlement check to cover medical expenses and lost wages, and they take advantage of this vulnerability by offering significantly less than the individual could obtain with legal representation.
If you have been injured in a bike accident, it is critical to consult with an experienced bicycle accident lawyer immediately. A lawyer can help to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available to you for any damages suffered. These damages may include medical bills, lost income, property damage, expenses for alternative transportation, disability, and emotional pain and suffering.
At The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn, our team of highly-skilled and knowledgeable bike accident lawyers will evaluate your case, determine fault, calculate damages, and negotiate for the full and fair settlement. Going to trial is often stressful and expensive. Avoiding trial has countless advantages, and we will do everything possible to keep your case out of the courtroom.
Unfortunately, not every case can be settled outside of court. If both parties are unable to reach an agreement about a fair and reasonable settlement, we are prepared to go to trial and fight for the full compensation you need and deserve.
Common Ways Bicycle Accidents Happen in Catskills
Occasionally, a bike accident is the fault of the cyclist, but more often than not, driver negligence plays a major role. Bicycle and motorcycle riders are more difficult to see than cars and trucks because of their small size. As a result, they often get lost in a driver’s blind spot. Furthermore, without the protection of enclosure, cyclists are extremely vulnerable in any type of collision. Some of the most common causes of bike accidents in include:
- Distracted drivers—Driver distraction is frequently involved in bike accidents, and these collisions are often deadly. When the driver of a motor vehicle is texting, talking on their cell phone, or otherwise distracted, they may fail to see an approaching cyclist. This is especially true in the congested Catskills area, where driver attention and focus is of the utmost importance.
- “Dooring”—Another common cause of bicycle accidents occurs when the occupant of a parked motor vehicle fails to look before opening their door, and an approaching cyclist crashes into the opened door. The cyclist may be injured from the collision alone. But even more serious injuries may occur if they flip over the door or are propelled into the path of traffic.
- Drivers who make improper lane changes—Drivers can have a deadly collision with bicyclists when they change lanes or turn without first checking their blind spots. Aggressive drivers may even purposely make improper lane changes or turns when they see a cyclist. An experienced Bronx bike accident lawyer can help you determine how to proceed if you’ve been injured by a negligent or aggressive driver.
- Drivers who fail to yield to bicyclists—Failure to yield occurs most frequently when the driver of a motor vehicle makes a left-hand turn at an intersection, moving directly into the cyclist’s path. Generally speaking, these accidents occur when the driver believes they have the right of way or that they have enough time to turn before the cyclist crosses their path. Sometimes the driver simply doesn’t see the cyclist at all because of an obstruction, low visibility, or distracted driving.
Who’s Liable After a Bicycle Accident?
Determining liability after a bike accident can be highly complicated because of the laws surrounding traffic accidents involving bicyclists. There is also a potential for multiple parties to be involved. The laws in New York hold that any party who contributes to a cycling accident may be found liable for resulting damages.
If you’ve been injured in a bike crash, you may have a claim against:
- Passenger vehicle drivers
- Other cyclists
- Commercial truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Transit companies
- Governmental agencies
- Third-party vendors, such as manufacturers of defective motor vehicle parts
A bike accident attorney will evaluate your case and help you determine fault. Contact The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn today.
Frequently Asked Questions About Upstate NY Bike Accidents
How Much Money Can I Receive for an Upstate Bicycle Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Catskills, you may suffer injuries and other damages. To determine how much money you are entitled to receive, your lawyer will calculate damages and negotiate with the insurance company for that amount. Damages may include economic losses, such as medical bills, vehicle repair expenses, and lost wages. They can also include noneconomic losses, such as emotional pain and suffering. Calculating medical bills and lost income is fairly straightforward, whereas calculating noneconomic damages, such as pain and suffering, is quite complex. A Catskills bike accident lawyer can help.
When Should I Seek Assistance from a Bike Accident Attorney?
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident due to the negligence of another, it is always wise to seek assistance from an attorney experienced in bicycle accidents. Insurance companies are notorious for offering low settlements to injury victims.
Are Cycle Accident Attorneys Worth it?
Absolutely. In addition to helping you obtain the maximum settlement possible, your bike accident lawyer can handle all paperwork and negotiations with insurance companies and other involved parties so that you can focus on healing.
When is The Best Time To Hire a Bike Accident Lawyer?
As with any personal injury accident, the best time to hire a bike accident lawyer is as soon as possible following the accident. Important information, including witness testimony, visible wounds, and your own memories of the incident, tend to fade with time. Furthermore, there is a statute of limitations on all personal injury cases in New York, and waiting until the last minute to file a claim may call into question the severity of your injuries.
Skilled Bicycle Accident Lawyer Serving Catskills, New York
If another’s negligent, careless, or reckless actions have caused you harm, the skilled legal team at The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn can help. We have been protecting the rights of accident victims for more than 30 years, and we have an impressive track record of obtaining the results our clients want in a timely, economical manner. We are located in the Bronx, but regularly serve upstate locations including Catskills, Kingston, Ulster County and Delaware County.
Following a bicycle accident, the only thing you should be focused on is healing. Let us handle the paperwork, phone calls, and insurance companies. We will negotiate for the maximum compensation available to you, and ensure that your rights and best interests are protected throughout the entire process. We offer exceptional, affordable legal counsel in a variety of languages, including Greek, Spanish, Albanian, and Bengali. And we only get paid if you do. Contact The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn today for a free and confidential consultation about your case.C