Bike Accident Lawyer in the Bronx
If you’re involved in a bicycle accident, it’s in your best interest to contact our Bronx bike accident lawyer today.
For more than 30 years, Evan Kohn has been providing residents of the Bronx with legal representation in a variety of fields.
Today the Law Office of Evan W. Kohn handles a wide range of cases, including auto accidents, slip and falls, construction accidents, taxi accidents, bicycle accidents, and medical malpractice suits.
The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn has represented clients in cases against individuals, local companies, the city, and even international corporations. Our office is dedicated to providing our clients with high-quality legal representation at a reasonable price.
Experienced Bronx Bike Accident Lawyer
In addition to the areas of practice discussed above, the Law Office of Evan W. Kohn also regularly handles personal injury cases, such as bicycle accidents. We know how many obstacles bicycle riders face on a daily basis. In 2013, there were over 6,000 bicycle accidents in the city of New York alone, with 40 of them fatal.
Vehicles changing lanes without looking, potholes, and aggressive drivers are all hazards with which bicyclists must commonly deal. When a bicycle accident occurs many riders suffer physical injuries which can limit their ability to work. In other cases, the bicycle, which may be a rider’s means of income, is damaged.
Whether a client is involved in a bicycle accident on their way to work, or biking for pleasure, our office is here to help them navigate any potential legal actions surrounding the accident. Some of the more common bicycle cases that we handle are accidents caused by car doors that are opened suddenly, cars and buses forcing bicycles off the road, poorly maintained roads resulting in crashes, and injuries resulting from road rage.
What to Do if You’re Involved in a Bicycle Accident in the Bronx
Bicycles are a great form of transportation. Riding a bike is good exercise, environmentally friendly, and you can get where you need to go for free. Unfortunately, bicycling can be dangerous, especially in the city, where there are a lot of variables to consider on the road. That’s why if you’re a biker, you should take precautions to avoid accidents, and if you’re ever involved in an accident it’s important that you know what to do.
Safety steps to avoid accidents
Biking in New York is not easy. There’s traffic, pedestrians crossing the street, potholes, and taxi doors opening and closing. That’s why it’s important to follow the laws of the road.
If you bike in New York, be sure to:
- Wear a helmet.
- Use bike lanes when they are available.
- If you’re riding at night, wear bright clothing and make sure you have reflectors or lights on your bike.
- Don’t wear headphones.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Use your bell to alert pedestrians.
- Signal when you turn.
- Know New York City’s Bicycle Laws. Bikers must obey most of the same traffic rules as cars, such as stopping at stop signs and red lights, and riding with traffic.
What to do if you are in an accident
Unfortunately, some accidents are unavoidable. If you are involved in a bicycle accident in the Bronx you should follow these steps:
- Take care of yourself. Get out of the road and make sure you are okay.
- Call the police. Or ask someone on the scene to call if you are unable to. It will be important later that you have a police report on file.
- Collect as much data from the scene as possible. If you have a smartphone, take pictures of the vehicles involved, and the road or intersection where the accident occurred. If there are any witnesses, write down their names and numbers.
- Try to obtain the license plate and information of the driver and anyone else who was involved in the accident.
Bicyclists who are injured by distracted drivers or because of the negligence of another vehicle can be rewarded compensation for hospital and doctor bills, damaged property, pain and suffering, and lost wages. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, it’s important to contact an experienced bicycle accident injury attorney in the Bronx who can help.
Why Hire a Bronx Bicycle Accident Injury Attorney?
Insurance companies are notorious for offering ridiculously low settlements to injury victims following a bike or motor vehicle accident. They know that many injury victims desperately need a settlement check to cover medical expenses and lost wages, and they take advantage of this vulnerability by offering significantly less than the individual could obtain with legal representation.
If you have been injured in a bike accident, it is critical to consult with an experienced Bronx bike accident lawyer immediately. A lawyer can help to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation available to you for any damages suffered. These damages may include medical bills, lost income, property damage, expenses for alternative transportation, disability, and emotional pain and suffering.
At The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn, our team of highly-skilled and knowledgeable bike accident lawyers in the Bronx will evaluate your case, determine fault, calculate damages, and negotiate for the full and fair settlement. Going to trial is often stressful and expensive. Avoiding trial has countless advantages, and we will do everything possible to keep your case out of the courtroom.
Unfortunately, not every case can be settled outside of court. If both parties are unable to reach an agreement about a fair and reasonable settlement, we are prepared to go to trial and fight for the full compensation you need and deserve.
Common Ways Bronx Bicycle Accidents Happen
Bike accidents can certainly be the fault of the cyclist, but the negligence of another party (or more) is often involved. Although the list of bike accident causes is endless, some contributing factors seem to occur with greater frequency than others. Some of the most common causes of negligence-based bicycle accidents in the Bronx include:
- Distracted drivers—Driver distraction is frequently involved in bike accidents, and these collisions are often deadly. When the driver of a motor vehicle is texting, talking on their cell phone, or otherwise distracted, they may fail to see an approaching cyclist. This is especially true in the congested NYC area, where driver attention and focus is of the utmost importance.
- “Dooring”—Another common cause of bicycle accidents occurs when the occupant of a parked motor vehicle fails to look before opening their door, and an approaching cyclist crashes into the opened door. The cyclist may be injured from the collision alone. But even more serious injuries may occur if they flip over the door or are propelled into the path of traffic.
- Drivers who make improper lane changes—Drivers can have a deadly collision with bicyclists when they change lanes or turn without first checking their blind spots. Aggressive drivers may even purposely make improper lane changes or turns when they see a cyclist. An experienced Bronx bike accident lawyer can help you determine how to proceed if you’ve been injured by a negligent or aggressive driver.
- Drivers who fail to yield to bicyclists—Failure to yield occurs most frequently when the driver of a motor vehicle makes a left-hand turn at an intersection, moving directly into the cyclist’s path. Generally speaking, these accidents occur when the driver believes they have the right of way or that they have enough time to turn before the cyclist crosses their path. Sometimes the driver simply doesn’t see the cyclist at all because of an obstruction, low visibility, or distracted driving.
Who’s Liable After a Bicycle Accident?
Determining liability after a bike accident can be highly complicated because of the laws surrounding traffic accidents involving bicyclists. There is also a potential for multiple parties to be involved. The laws in New York hold that any party who contributes to a cycling accident may be found liable for resulting damages. If you’ve been injured in a bike crash, you may have a claim against:
- Passenger vehicle drivers
- Other cyclists
- Commercial truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Transit companies
- Governmental agencies
- Third-party vendors, such as manufacturers of defective motor vehicle parts
A Bronx bike accident lawyer will evaluate your case and help you determine fault. Contact The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn today.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Money Can I Receive for a Bronx Bicycle Accident?
Following a bicycle accident, the amount of money you receive is largely dependent on the extent of damages suffered, including medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and any resulting emotional pain and suffering. An experienced Bronx bike accident lawyer can help you obtain the maximum compensation available.
When Should I Seek Assistance from a Bronx Bike Accident Lawyer?
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident due to the negligence of another, it is always wise to seek assistance from an attorney experienced in bicycle accidents. Insurance companies are notorious for offering low settlements to injury victims.
Are Bronx Bicycle Accident Injury Attorneys Worth it?
Absolutely. In addition to helping you obtain the maximum settlement possible, your Bronx bike accident injury attorney can handle all paperwork and negotiations with insurance companies and other involved parties so that you can focus on healing.
When is The Best Time To Hire a Bronx Bike Accident Lawyer?
As with any personal injury accident, the best time to hire a Bronx bike accident lawyer is as soon as possible following the accident. Important information, including witness testimony, visible wounds, and your own memories of the incident, tend to fade with time. Furthermore, there is a statute of limitations on all personal injury cases in New York, and waiting until the last minute to file a claim may call into question the severity of your injuries.
Skilled Bronx Bicycle Accident Injury Attorney
If you have been harmed in a bicycle accident due to the negligence of another, the skilled legal team at The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn can help. We have an impressive track record of obtaining substantial compensation for injury victims in bike accident cases. Although it is always our goal to settle outside of court, we are prepared to take your case to trial if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached.
Your best choice for legal help with bicycle accidents is the Law Office of Evan W. Kohn. Let us fight for you to get the money you deserve from insurance companies and at-fault drivers. Our Bronx bike accident lawyers offer a free initial consultation for clients, and the staff speaks a range of languages, including Spanish, Greek, Albanian, and Bengali. For clients who think they cannot afford an attorney, our office only collects legal fees if we win the case.
In many cases of personal injury, the client is confined to either the hospital or their home. Since these people are still in need of legal representation, Mr. Kohn will travel to their location for their meetings as long as is necessary.
To speak to a member of our team, or to schedule a free consultation to discuss a potential case, contact us today. Se habla español. We also work with clients in upstate locations such as Ulster County & Delaware County.