Catskills County Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Catskills, you may be entitled to substantial compensation for any injuries and other damages suffered.
Slip and fall accidents are a leading cause of serious injury, often resulting in bone fractures, neck and back injuries, and spinal cord injuries. They can even be fatal.
If the negligence of a property owner causes you to be harmed in a slip and fall accident, the skilled legal team at The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn can help. Our Catskills slip and fall lawyer has helped countless victims obtain the compensation, care, and justice they deserve. For more than 30 years, we have ensured that our injury clients have access to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, emotional pain and suffering, and other associated damages.
What To Do After a Catskills Slip and Fall Accident
There are certain steps that you can take immediately following a slip and fall accident to ensure your health and safety, as well as your access to the maximum compensation available if you decide to bring a lawsuit against the negligent party.
- Call 911—In addition to ensuring your safety, calling 911 will result in the creation of an official police report, which can prove invaluable in an injury claim or lawsuit.
- Seek medical attention—Even if injuries aren’t immediately apparent, it is in your best interest to seek medical attention. Certain serious injuries, including internal bleeding and soft-tissue damage, may not produce visible symptoms for days or even weeks. Furthermore, a record of medical treatment will be helpful to an injury claim or lawsuit.
- Take pictures—Photograph any visible injuries and anything that may have contributed to the accident, such as a patch of ice on an outdoor walkway, or debris in a grocery store aisle.
- Ask witnesses for contact information—If anyone witnessed the accident or its aftermath, ask for their name, phone number, and email address.
- Call an experienced slip and fall accident lawyer that has experience working upstate, in Catskills. Your attorney will evaluate your case, determine fault, calculate damages, help you gather evidence to substantiate your claim, and negotiate for the maximum possible settlement. At The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn, it is always our goal to settle outside of court, but we are prepared to take your case to trial if a reasonable settlement cannot be reached.
- Do not speak to the insurance company before speaking to your attorney—When it comes to insurance companies, you can be certain that if you say the wrong thing, they will use it against you. Remember, it is the insurance company’s goal to pay as little as possible and your attorney’s goal to help you obtain as much as possible. So consult with a lawyer before discussing anything with the insurance company.
Who is Responsible if You Have an Accident in Catskills?
When it comes to personal injury claims, New York follows the comparative negligence rule, which means that you can recover damages in an accident, even if you were partially at fault. Let’s say that Rebecca was texting and driving when another driver sped through a red light and smashed into the side of her car. Rebecca can still recover damages from the other driver, but the recovery will be reduced by her percentage of fault. For example, if Rebecca is found to be 20 percent at fault for the accident, and the total damages are calculated at $20,0000, Rebecca will receive $16,000 ($20,000 less 20 percent, or $4,000).
To recover compensation for a slip and fall injury, you must first determine if you have grounds for a valid claim. In order to file a successful slip and fall lawsuit in the Catskills, one of the following must be true:
- The property owner must have caused the dangerous area or surface.
- The property owner must have known of the dangerous area’s existence and failed to remedy it.
- The property owner should have known about the dangerous condition because any reasonable individual would have discovered and repaired the hazardous area.
It is important to remember that you do not have unlimited time to file a premises liability claim. In New York, the statute of limitations for personal injury accidents is 3 years. This means you have three years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit for compensation.
Common Injuries Caused by a Slip and Fall Accident
Ice, debris, poor lighting, and food spills lead to numerous slip and fall accidents each year in the upstate locations including Catskills. While many people believe that fall injuries only affect the elderly, anyone can sustain catastrophic harm as a result of a slip and fall accident.
If you or someone you love is injured because of a negligent property owner, seek medical care. Depending on the cause, location, and many other factors, your condition may be severe.
Below are some of the most common injuries caused by slip and fall accidents:
- Cuts and abrasions — Many falls lead to cuts and abrasions which can lead to unsightly wounds and even scarring. While often superficial, these injuries may be indicative of more serious conditions such as broken bones or fractures.
- Soft tissue injuries — Because they occur beneath the skin, soft tissue injuries can remain undetected for some time after a slip and fall accident. Examples include severe sprains, ligament damage, and tendon tears. If left untreated, these injuries can lead to chronic pain.
- Traumatic brain injuries — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that falls are the number one cause of traumatic brain injuries or TBIs. TBIs can lead to a wide range of symptoms and can result in permanent disability.
- Fractures and broken bones — According to the CDC, each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures as a result of fall accidents. Fractures and broken bones can be excruciatingly painful and can prevent you from working or enjoying life. It is common for slip and fall accidents to cause broken fingers, arms, legs, ankles, and other bones.
- Spinal cord injuries — Severe spinal cord injuries can lead to chronic pain, paralysis and even death. The most serious conditions occur when the spinal cord is severed or compressed. Victims often require lifelong care and treatment.
Make no mistake, slip and falls are not a laughing matter. When they are caused by a careless property owner, victims deserve justice. If you suffer any type of fall injury and believe negligence is to blame, consult with a skilled personal injury lawyer that serves your area immediately. For slip and fall injuries in Catskills, contact the Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn today.
Book a Free Consultation With Our Catskills and Fall Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Catskills, the legal team at The Law Office of Evan W. Kohn can help. Our highly-skilled, compassionate injury lawyers are committed to helping clients receive the full compensation available to them in a timely, economical manner. We understand the challenges of trying to recover while medical bills pile up and paychecks stop coming in. It is our goal to get you the compensation you deserve as quickly as possible so that you can heal and get on with your life. Contact us today at 1-800-750-4878 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.Catskills