In the Bronx and throughout NYC, construction sites are some of the most hazardous environments for both workers and pedestrians. Although necessary for the betterment of the city, construction projects present numerous hazards to the public. If you suffer harm at a construction worksite, you could easily jeopardize your personal injury case. Let’s take a look at some common mistakes to avoid:
- Not hiring an attorney: If you’re injured in New York City, you need an attorney. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be offered a settlement, you may need workers comp, or you may need to fight for compensation in court. An experienced lawyer can quickly evaluate your case, determine your legal options, and plot a course for success. Without a lawyer, you risk everything.
- Hiring the wrong lawyer: While choosing the right lawyer can increase your chances of recovering compensation, hiring the wrong attorney can result in an unfair outcome. Remember, you need someone who focuses on handling personal injury and construction accident cases, not a criminal defense, real estate, or other type of attorney.
- Waiting too long: As soon as you are physically able, you must contact a lawyer. Waiting to seek legal help only hurts your case. And if you wait too long, the statute of limitations may run out and you may be unable to recover any compensation at all.
- Failing to follow your doctor’s orders: It is essential to your health as well as your legal case that you follow your doctor’s orders. Failure to listen to your doctor may result in permanent injury and severe damage to your personal injury claim.
- Signing anything without your lawyer: Never sign or agree to anything without first consulting with your attorney. Insurance adjusters are quick to offer low-ball settlements in order to wrap up cases quickly and cost effectively.
Contact a knowledgeable NYC construction accident attorney
After suffering a construction site injury, the last thing you need to do is navigate personal injury law. For nearly 30 years, The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn has fought zealously for New Yorkers injured in construction accidents. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the process from start to finish, advocating for your rights at every turn. Contact us today at 718-409-5500.