If you are injured in a car accident, above all else, you must seek medical attention. Depending on the circumstances of the collision, you may have suffered multiple injuries that could require surgery, special medications, and rehabilitation. Unfortunately, this type of long-term medical care can cost a small fortune.
Once you have seen a doctor and had your condition diagnosed and stabilized, you need to consult with a lawyer. If a negligent person or party is liable for the accident, you may be able to recover damages to pay for the following types of long-term medical treatment and care:
- Surgical costs — Serious trauma to the neck or back may require multiple surgeries over an extended period of time. Many people fail to realize the high costs of such repeated surgeries. Other types of injuries that may require multiple long-term surgeries include shattered bones, torn tendons and ligaments, and brain injuries.
- Prescription costs — Prescription costs will vary based on the extent of your injuries. For acute pain, you may be prescribed certain painkillers. Additionally, you may be prescribed antibiotics and other medications to stave off infections and help your immune system.
- Psychological costs — A car accident can be traumatic and can even result in PTSD. You may suffer from insomnia, nightmares, anxiety, migraines, and other symptoms that could require long-term or even life-long, psychological care.
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation — After your body begins to heal, you will need to undergo physical therapy and rehabilitation. Depending on the extent of your injuries, this process can last months or even years.
- Brain injury costs — A traumatic brain injury can affect every aspect of your life. You may suffer a wide range of symptoms including motor skill impairment, speech problems, irritability, insomnia, headaches and other serious symptoms. Long-term treatment of a brain injury can be costly and may require a mix of therapies, medications and surgeries.
- Medical equipment costs — Many people forget the cost of medical equipment — home hospital beds, wheelchairs, etc.
When a car accident leaves you in pain and wondering about the future, you deserve justice. A skilled car accident lawyer in the Bronx can review your case, determine if a negligent party is at fault, and help you recover the compensation you need to pay for long-term medical costs like those listed above.
Experienced accident lawyer helps Bronx injury victims recover damages
When a careless person injures you or a loved one in the Bronx, the Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn is ready to be your voice. To discuss your injury case with a compassionate attorney, call 718-409-5500 or contact us online.