Driving is an everyday activity for many people. Because people drive so often, it’s possible to become comfortable behind the wheel and fall victim to distractions. While there’s nothing wrong with being comfortable when you drive, you should always stay alert and pay attention to the road. Driving while distracted is dangerous and can lead to accidents, injuries, and even death.
Some of the most common distractions while operating a vehicle include:
- Texting or talking on the phone. If you must use your phone in your car, use a headset and avoid texting. Texting while driving is one of the leading causes of accidents in the United States.
- Adjusting controls. Adjusting the volume of your music or the air conditioning can cause you to take your eyes off the road. If you need to adjust the controls, wait until you are at a stop.
- Eating and drinking. Spilling a drink on your lap or dropping a cheeseburger on the floor can be extremely dangerous if you are zipping down the highway. Even if you’re in a rush, it’s best to pull over to eat. Then resume driving after you finish your meal.
- Anger and emotions. Your state of mind is important when operating a vehicle. When people are angry or upset they often take more risks and pay less attention to their surroundings.
- Other passengers. It’s fun to talk when other people are in the car. But pay attention to the road and don’t get distracted by the conversation.
- Smoking. Smoking cigarettes while driving a car can be as distracting as using your phone. Many car accidents related to smoking occur every year. It’s safest not to smoke in your car at all, but if you must, be careful to keep your attention on the road.
When accidents occur because a driver is distracted, it is considered negligence and the responsible driver can be held liable for medical bills, loss of wages, and vehicular damage.
That’s why if you have been injured in a car accident that you suspect may have been caused by a distracted driver, it’s vital to seek an experienced car accident attorney in the Bronx. A knowledgeable attorney can you help you navigate the justice system and seek the compensation you deserve.
Experienced distracted driving accident lawyer
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn provides extensive personal injury legal knowledge and over three decades of quality representation. Let us fight for you to get the money you deserve from insurance companies and at-fault drivers. Contact us online or call 718-409-5500 to schedule your free consultation today. Se habla español.