There are many types of accidents and injuries that can be caused by negligence. In most situations, you have a right to be compensated if you are injured due to someone else’s negligence in the Bronx. But what, exactly, is considered negligence?
The New York City Bar Association’s website provides information about what it means to be negligent.To suffer an injury due to negligence and pursue fair compensation, you must show that:
- There was negligence. If there is an unsafe or dangerous condition (unleashed dog, uneven pavement or floors, obstacles in aisles or landscaping, hazardous materials on site, etc.), the owner has an obligation to warn people about these conditions. They can rope off the area or post warnings. But, if you are not warned about a potential danger, there may be negligence.
- The negligence caused your injury. To determine if someone was negligent, the law considers if a “reasonable person” could predict that the condition, action or lack of action might cause an injury.
- You were injured. Even if there was negligence, if you were not injured, you cannot get compensated.
- You filed a claim within the appropriate timeframe. In the Bronx and throughout New York, you have three years after an accident and injury to pursue a legal case seeking fair compensation.
- Auto, bicycle, boat, motorcycle, truck, subway, public transit, and other vehicular accidents
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents due to liquids, snow, and ice or unsafe indoor and outdoor property conditions
- Construction and other work site accidents
- Medical malpractice including surgeries, prescriptions, procedures, and other treatments that cause injury due to negligence by medical professionals
- Product liability or injuries due to faulty products
- Police and other professional misconduct that causes injuries to individuals
- Wrongful death, battery, and assault
Types of Accidents and Injuries
Some common types of accidents and injuries that occur due to negligence include:
To be sure that you properly document your injuries, possible negligence, and other relevant information, you should contact a lawyer. Accident and personal injury lawyers usually provide a free consultation to determine if the circumstances meet the requirements for bringing a personal injury lawsuit.
Get Professional Legal Advice with a Free Initial Consultation
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn has more than three decades of experience providing successful legal representation for people who are the victims of accidents or injuries due to negligence in the Bronx and elsewhere in New York City. Call us at 718-409-5500 or contact us to schedule a free consultation. Se habla español.