Truck accidents are often devastating. With their massive weight, 18-wheelers can become roadway wrecking balls in the hands of inexperienced or irresponsible drivers. Sadly, many semi-truck and tractor trail accidents are fatal or result in catastrophic injuries.
There is no single consistent cause for truck accidents. Rather, these tragedies occur because of many different factors, some of which are out of our control.
Here are the most common reasons trucking accidents happen:
- Bad weather — Imagine an 18-wheeler cruising down the highway, full cargo. Suddenly the driver slams the brakes to avoid the line of stopped traffic ahead. Now picture that same scene, except the road is slick with pouring rain. Severe weather including fog, rain, wind, snow sleet, hail, and freezing rain can lead to terrible truck accidents. Ideally, drivers should receive annual training for driving in adverse weather conditions.
- Fatigued driver — One of the most common and preventable causes of truck accidents is driver fatigue. The issue at hand is that for truck drivers, money is time. This causes some truckers to stay awake, with or without the use of narcotics, in order to stay on the road longer and make more money. As a result, there ends up being a sleep-deprived driver behind the wheel of a 40-ton vehicle.
- Condition of vehicle — Like cars, trucks break down. It is the responsibility of the truck driver and/or the trucking company to ensure their fleet is maintained and in working condition. If a trucking component breaks down suddenly while in use, it could lead to catastrophic failure and a traffic accident.
- Driver error — Truck drivers who fail to follow the rules of the road put everyone around them in danger. Speeding, tailgating, and cellphone use are examples of driver errors.
- Use of drugs or alcohol — Some truck drivers take amphetamines to stay awake. The combination of drugs and lack of sleep can lead to unpredictable and extremely dangerous driving behavior.
When a truck accident changes your life forever, you deserve justice. An experienced Bronx truck accident attorney can help you file a claim to recover compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of wages, funerary expenses and other damages.
Consult with an experienced Bronx truck accident lawyer
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn fights passionately for truck accident victims throughout NYC. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your case, call 718-409-5500 or contact us online. Se habla español. আমরা বাংলা কথা বলি।.