If you or a person you love has been injured in a car accident, you may be wondering what factors can affect your settlement. While a variety of factors play a role in car accident cases, here are some of the more important factors that can affect your case:
- Consistency. You will have to tell your version of the accident to many people—the police, your doctor, your lawyer, and possibly a judge. Having a consistent story throughout helps to increase your chances of a successful settlement.
- Negligence and evidence. Was the other passenger intoxicated, distracted, speeding, or breaking the law when the accident occurred? Is there any evidence to prove it?
- Injuries and medical care. If you are seeking compensation for an injury, did you seek medical care for that injury? Is that medical care documented?
- Type of accident. Was it a rear end collision at a stop sign or an accident at an intersection? Certain types of accidents are easier to prove resulted from negligence. For example, rear-end collisions are almost always the fault of the driver who’s behind because he or she failed to maintain a safe distance from the car in front. It can be more difficult to determine negligence in other types of accidents.
Although it’s impossible to predict the outcome of your settlement, you can put yourself in the best position for success by following these tips:
- Be Prepared. The more information, data, records and documentation you have of your accident and the time afterwards, the better. It’s a good idea to keep a dated journal after your accident and record how you feel, notes on your injuries, dates of doctors’ visits, as well as any receipts from treatment.
- Listen to your doctor. You should always listen to your doctor, but especially if you have been involved in a car accident and believe the other driver was negligent. If you seek compensation for an injury but fail to adhere to your doctor’s advice about how to properly treat that injury, you could jeopardize your case.
- Hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. Most importantly, you should hire a personal injury attorney to help you navigate the legal system and maximize your chances of a successful settlement.
Knowledgeable Bronx car accident settlement attorneys
When you suffer injury in an automobile accident caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another driver, the Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn will help you get the fair compensation you deserve. Call 718-409-5500 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation today. Se habla español.