Every day in America there are millions of trucks on the road. Inevitably accidents happen, and because trucks are so much bigger than regular vehicles, even accidents at low speeds can have severe consequences.
That’s why it’s so important to be especially cautious when sharing the road with trucks and large vehicles. If an accident occurs because of the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries. One of the most important aspects of filing a claim after an accident is determining who is at fault and liable for your injuries. Speaking with an experienced truck accident attorney in the Bronx before you file your claim is recommended.
Who is liable in a trucking accident?
Trucking accidents can be complicated because the number of parties who could be liable is usually greater than in a regular accident. Below is a list of the potentially liable parties in a trucking accident:
- The truck driver. If the driver was speeding, under the influence, or not paying attention and their negligence caused the accident, they are the liable party.
- The driver’s company. If a company failed to train their driver properly or expected unrealistically long hours of their drivers, they could be held liable. Also, many companies insure their drivers.
- Another driver or party. Just because a truck was involved in the accident doesn’t mean the accident was the truck driver’s fault. If the driver of a passenger car caused the accident, they will be the liable party.
- The truck manufacturer. If the truck was defective in any way, the fault may lie with the manufacturer.
- A parts manufacturer. If a defective or improperly installed part is what caused the accident, the fault could fall on the company that manufactured or installed the part.
- The cargo company who loaded the truck. All materials need to be loaded properly and secured before a truck gets on the road. When a cargo company fails to do their job, materials can come lose and cause an accident.
As you can see, determining who is liable in a trucking accident can be difficult. That’s why it’s important to have an experienced trucking accident attorney on your side who can help you navigate the legal system and fight for fair compensation.
Contact an experienced truck accident attorney in the Bronx
If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident, contact the Law Offices of Even W. Kohn. We have years of experience helping our clients fight for the compensation they deserve. Call us at 718-409-5500 to schedule your free consultation with our trucking accident attorney or contact us online today. Se habla español.