Skilled Legal Representation with Heavy Equipment and Machinery Injuries in New York City
Heavy machinery is essential on commercial construction worksites in New York. If equipment was not maintained or used correctly, you may have suffered serious or disabling injury.
New York attorneys deliver decisive, experienced legal help when you are hurt
As an experienced personal injury law firms in the Bronx and Manhattan, The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn and the Jacob Fuchsberg Law Firm represent the hardworking people in New York City boroughs who are injured by the negligence of others. In addition to the hardship and pain of physical injury, we know the damage caused by even one lost paycheck.
If you are injured in a heavy equipment accident on a construction site, we aggressively pursue all compensation available for your recovery.
Heavy equipment means high risk on a New York City worksite
At any stage in a construction project in New York, workers use tools and heavy equipment to move material and carry out projects. Just some of the common machinery on a jobsite could include:
- Trenchers: When pipes are laid, or whenever surface digging is required, trenchers will be on the scene. These very useful machines can be fitted to cut through asphalt or other substrates, and create trenches of different sizes. Trenchers can also convey and deposit trenched material outside the trench.
- Cranes: Like trenchers, cranes are common construction site equipment. Cranes move material and can also be fitted with fixtures to perform different tasks. Cranes are a common site in New York City, on the ground and in the sky.
- Skid-Steer loaders: For excavation, drilling, grading, or moving materials, skid-steer loaders are relatively small but powerful machines that can be used throughout a construction project and fitted with different attachments, tracks, and tires.
While common, these machines create deadly workplace hazards, including:
- Because trenchers move heavy soils to outside of the trench, parts of the machine are usually in motion. Working in or around a trencher is dangerous and requires constant monitoring.
- Cranes are well-known jobsite dangers. Untrained operators, poor maintenance, or poor installation of the crane are just some of the reasons for frequent deadly crane accidents in New York City. Workers within the swing radius of a crane can easily be crushed.
- Because they are nimble, useful, and relatively simple to operate, skid-steer loaders are frequently a factor in construction site accidents, often when a load falls, or the loader rolls.
Whether large or small sized, construction site machinery can cause crush and caught-in injuries. Caught-in injuries and death occur when a worker is caught between the parts of a machine, or between objects. These accidents are one of the four most deadly construction worksite hazards identified by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and usually involve unsafe circumstances including:
- Proximity to a crane, trencher, or other heavy machine can crush or strike a worker when the machine moves.
- Working close to any machine without awareness or personal protective equipment (PPE) can cause severe injury or death.
- Tools are often modified to defeat safety features that make the equipment less convenient to use.
- Poor worksite safety training can lead to capture of clothing or body parts by machine parts.
Almost any tool or equipment on a construction site can become a serious source of injury or death if used, stored, or maintained improperly. From ladders to loaders, if you are injured working on a New York City construction site, we can help. If a third-party was involved in your jobsite injury, you may have a legal claim for compensation to help you as you recover. Call us today for straightforward, honest legal advice.
Knowledgeable construction site accident attorneys helps you in New York
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn and the Jacob Fuchsberg Law Firm will protect your rights and pursue compensation on your behalf from individuals and parties responsible for your injury. Call us at 718-409-5500 or contact us today to discuss your case.