If you or a loved one suffers a personal injury in New York, you would be surprised how much your actions after the accident can influence the compensation you may be awarded.
When you suffer an injury due to the negligence of others, you may have a claim for compensation based on how much you and the other people involved in the event contributed to your injury. But the compensation you may be eligible to receive also depends on what you do after the accident.
How to keep your case on track
There are a number of ways that you can keep your case on track while your attorney moves your claim for compensation forward.Consider these points:
- Get help right away:If you are injured in any type of crash or accident, get medical help right away.If you delay reporting an accident and getting medical help, an argument can be made that the injury for which you eventually claim compensation was not the cause of your pain.Always follow medical advice, keep doctor’s appointments, and attend physical therapy appointments if needed.If you do not follow through with doctor’s orders, the information can be used to prove your injury is not serious, or the injury claim is not valid.
- Talk to a good attorney:When you believe you have suffered an injury that is caused by someone else, get legal guidance from an experienced personal injury attorney right away. A skilled lawyer can advise you of deadlines to file your claim, next steps, and how your case might proceed. Always be honest with your attorney about your injury and if you have any pre-existing injuries or conditions that could impact your claim. Reputable injury attorneys in New York offer a free consultation so you can speak with an attorney to learn about your options without paying a legal fee.
- Talk only to your attorney:At the scene of an accident, and later, do not discuss the accident with friends, co-workers, or others in person or via email.Information and thoughts you share about the accident could be discovered by the insurance company or attorney for the other party and used to weaken your claim for compensation.
- Keep records and documents: If you are injured, take pictures of your injury, hospital bed, orthopedic devices, and medications, and keep a complete record of the medical care you receive.When you keep a file of photographs, receipts, and documents that show your injury, your treatment, and your efforts to help yourself—you help your attorney prepare a case for compensation on your behalf.
- Beware of social media:Be sure that you are very careful when sharing information about your injury on any social media platform.If you are tagged in pictures that show you apparently healthy and happy, or on vacation, the images may be used to prove you do not have the injury you claim to suffer.
- Talk to your attorney if you receive an offer:If an insurance company or other party makes an offer to settle your case, speak with your attorney before discussing the offer further, or signing any document.Oftentimes, defendants and insurance companies make low bids to try and settle a claim.While a quick settlement sounds good, it is probably less than you might otherwise be offered and you do not yet know the maximum extent of your injuries.
These are just some of the ways you can protect a compensation claim if you suffered injury due to the negligence of others in New York.When you have questions, be sure to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney.
Work with a skilled injury attorney in the Bronx
The Law Offices of Evan W. Kohn have more than three decades of successful experience protecting the rights of injured clients like you in the Bronx.Call us at 718-866-3914 or contact us today to schedule a free consultation.